They serve many other purposes like communal polarization.
With UP elections getting nearer, inflammatory speeches are more in vogue.
Sadhvi Prachi, who is known for her controversial statements, said:
"It is time to make India free of Muslims". That's a call for Genocide, isn't it?
The video went viral and is available online. [IE link]
Unlike many other countries in Europe where such comments can lead to imprisonment and tough penal action Indian 'system' is quite tolerant of them.
Sadhvi Prachi is not alone. There are many others like her. But enough has been written about them.
This post deals with another aspect:
Who should be blamed for her hate-speeches and which organisation should be held accountable?
Sadhvi Prachi is NOT a BJP leader. She is a VHP leader and VHP is linked to the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). Hence, it is RSS leadership that should be held accountable for her utterances.
1. RSS leaders say that they are 'nationalists'. RSS leaders talk about 'shuchita', morality in public life. So do they approve of such speeches? If they don't, shouldn't they clarify or give a dressing down to those who use such language.
2. Whenever there are such speeches, section of media doesn't go to the reserved or 'incommunicado' RSS leadership for comments, rather, ask BJP leaders. The relationship between all the arms of umbrella Sangh Parivar is known....
3. ...But Sadhvi Prachi is not in BJP, it's a fact. The speeches may help the party politically. However, the BJP conveniently says, "we have nothing to do with her", and it's right too. The speeches stoke communal hatred.
4. If RSS is conscious about its image and claims that it practices what it preaches, it should strongly denounce Sadhvi Prachi's language. Does RSS leadership, especially, its Sarsanghchalak Mohan Bhagwat, approve of such speeches? He must be asked and should make it clear.
5. There are legal provisions and, of course, police can take action. But mostly it doesn't happen. If ever an FIR is registered in such a case, charge-sheets take years and often case is withdrawn by the same or other government.